What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are hollow, artificial teeth that are placed over an entire decayed or damaged tooth to restore its function. At Hunter Dental, our Markham dentists normally use crowns to correct significant tooth damage and prevent further deterioration.
Crowns can be used for several dental procedures, such as covering teeth after a root canal, attaching a dental bridge, concealing crooked or discoloured teeth to try and improve their appearance, or protecting teeth too small for fillings.
Crowns are usually very strong and made from a variety of materials, including porcelain and metal. They should look and function like natural teeth, and if cared for properly, can normally last 10 years or more.
- Decay is removed from the tooth and it is thoroughly cleaned.
- We take a highly detailed 3D scan of the prepared surface.
- Using this scan, we create a virtual model of the tooth.
- The model is analyzed with our on-site milling technology.
- A porcelain crown is made to precisely match your tooth.
- Your new crown is then cemented onto the surface of the prepared tooth.
We can try to create tooth restorations on-site and can place ceramic tooth-coloured crowns in just one visit.Learn More